This content has been machine translated.
From Masseria to social center

From Masseria to social center

Ticino,

On a map of the Municipality of Porza stands the former Masseria di Cornaredo, purchased in 1913 by the city of Lugano: it has remained uninhabited since 1989 and is considered a locally protected property.

In spring 2021, the restoration works of the former Masseria di Cornaredo started, which stands on land owned by the city of Lugano, which in 2019 granted a surface right to the Francesco Foundation for social aid in order to renovate and offer valuable contents to an area that, in the last thirty years, has undergone a major deterioration since it has been left in a state of neglect. To revive the rural complex – of which there are historical evidences dating back to 1351, which once belonged to the Castle of Trevano (begun in 1871 at the behest of the Russian baron Paul von Derwies, who had one of the most splendid residences in Switzerland built with huge investments) – the Francesco Foundation was able to count on the support of the city of Lugano, the Municipality of Porza and the Rotary Club Lugano-Lago, which decided to support the creation of this social citadel which provides for the architectural and structural recovery of the existing complex .

New project in a modern sector
The redesign and renovation of the former Masseria di Cornaredo are part of the reorganization of the new Cornaredo district, which since 2012 – the year the Vedeggio-Cassarate gallery was opened – is undergoing substantial changes. The Cornaredo sector, which extends over approximately 1 million square meters, will become the new gateway to the urban center, with other road connections, intermodal structures, parking lots and large construction sites with mixed content (residential-commercial and administrative), as well. as defined by the new Master Plan which involved the Municipalities of Lugano, Canobbio and Porza.
One of the pieces of this construction site is precisely the former Masseria, which will be enhanced to become a strategic point for the city and the area that revolves around it. The precarious state of the buildings requires static-structural consolidation interventions, respecting the existing architectural system.

The conservative restoration project contemplates the maintenance of the ancient charm of the buildings, in particular of the facades, which will be meticulously restored and completed with timely interventions in order to meet the new needs of the interior spaces.

The social canteen promoted by the Bethlehem Center with related services, the administrative offices of the Francesco Foundation, a multipurpose room will be located in the building. On the ground floor, in addition to the restoration of an ancient press, an inn with accommodation will be created, the proceeds of which will help finance and feed the Foundation’s charitable activity, also compensating for the important costs of the restructuring.